Rainbow Rowell: Eleanor & Park


"Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. 
Like holding something complete, and completely alive."




Ah, I love this book! Eleanor & Park was the first english book I bought (if I remember correctly) and is by far my favorite book. I read this book three times in a row before I could finally lay it down and grab a different book. That's how much I love it!

As you can probably tell by the title of the book: It is about a girl named Eleanor and a boy named Park. Eleanor is a, may I say, troubled kid. She is not skinny, has bright red hair that makes her stand out and wears large and weird clothes ("a giant man's shirt with seashells all over it.")
She is the oldest of five kids in a difficult home life (living with her stepdad) and is the new kid in school.

Park is a half-Korean kid in a mostly-white part of the town. He is into alternative music, dresses in mostly black and loves to read comic books unlike his brother and dad, who love sports.

The book begins as Eleanor steps onto the school bus on her first day. The students on the bus arrange themselves so that every space is covered, leaving Eleanor with no sitting space. After walking all the way to the back of the bus and the bus driver yelling at her to sit down. Park, listening to his Walkman, tries to ignore her but as he looks up to see her almost crying scoots over to let her sit down. From that moment on, Eleanor sits next to Park every morning in silence.

After a couple of days, Park notices that Eleanor is reading his Comics over his shoulder. Parks opens the Comic book wider for Eleanor to read with him but both of them won't talk. As she gets up to leave the bus, Parks hands her the Comic for her to continue to read.

Park starts to bring Eleanor a bunch of Comic books to read and soon notices lyrics from the band The Smiths on Eleanor's text book and asks her about it. She admits that she never heard any of the songs, but it is a wishlist of songs she would like to hear. Park makes a mix tape of his favorite songs that night to give to Eleanor as well as a new bunch of Comics. They start to talk about their love for music and comics on the bus.

That's all I really want to tell you about this wonderful book. I don't want to give away too much of the plot (spoilers are stupid!) but the romance between the two of them to me is so beautiful. I was feeling so many emotions reading that book and it's something special for me to feel for a character in a book. I couldn't recommend this book to you enough. It is so so good!

Did you read this book? What did you think of it?



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Decanne. Design by Fearne.